Analyses the actual action.
- Goal: Morality is a question of adhering to a set of rules.
- How it works: Judge which norm (moral rule) is the most important in which particular situation.
- Pitfall: “Befehl ist Befehl” (an order is an order).
Teleological ethics (Consequentialism)
Analyses the consequences of the action.
- Goal: Morality is a question of realising ideals.
- How it works: Judge what behaviour contributes most to realising the requested ideal.
- Pitfall: “The ends justify the means.”
Analyses the intention of the action (behaviour) in question.
- Goal: Morality is question of wanting to be a good (virtuous) human being.
- How it works: Look in the mirror and decide who you want to be.
- Pitfall: “I meant no harm.”
See other: Admin’s Choice Posts