Not taking into account the first 10,000 years, the following events make up a very brief overview of the next 100,000 years:
- [+13,000] Earth’s Axial Tilt Reversed: The Earth will tilt away from the Sun in June – the Northern hemisphere will experience more extreme weather due to the higher percentage of land.
- [+18,860] Calendars Concur: the Islamic and Georgian calendars will share the same year: 20,860.
- [+20,000] Chernobyl: the damaging radioactivity at Chernobyl, Ukraine will be gone.
- [+25,000] Arecibo Message: Sent on 16 November 1974, radio data from the Earth will be received by globular cluster Messier 13 at the far side of the galaxy.
- [+50,000] Greenland Ice Melted: The ice at Greenland will be completely melted with moderate global warming (+2C).
- [+50,000] KEO Time Capsule: Launched in 2014, the time capsule will re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere. It has enough capacity to carry a four-page message from everyone on Earth.
- [+50,000] Niagra Falls Disappears: The remaining 32 kilometres to Lake Erie will erode away and the waterfall will cease to exist.
- [+100,000] Nearby Supernova: the red giant VY Canis Majoris will likely explode into a Hypernova.
- [+100,000] Laptop Disappearing: The titanium in laptops will start to corrode.
- [+100,000] Constellations: The stars in the heavens will look completely different due to Earth’s movement through the galaxy.
- [+100,000] Global disaster: Either a supervolcano or a large climate-altering asteroid will probably have affected the Earth by then.
See other: Events of the Far Future