Man + Woman “Nuclear Family” (Genesis 2:24)
- Wives subordinate to their husbands.
- Interfaith marriages forbidden.
- Marriages generally arranged, not based on romantic love.
- Bride who could not prove her virginity was stoned to death.
Man + Woman + Woman’s Property (Genesis 16)
- Man could acquire his wife’s property including her slaves.
Man + Brother’s Widow “Levirate Marriage” (Genesis 38: 6-10)
- Widow who had not borne a son required to marry her brother in law.
- Must submit sexually to her new husband.
Male Slave + Female Slave (Exodus 21:4)
- Slave owner could assign female slaves to his male slaves.
- Female slaves must submit sexually to their new husbands.
Male Soldier + Prisoner of War (Deuteronomy 21:11-14) & (Number 31:1-18)
- Under Moses’ command, Israelites kill every Midianite man, woman child; save for the virgin girls who are taken as spoils of war.
- Wives must submit sexually to their new owners.
Rapist + His Victim (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)
- Virgin who is raped must marry her rapist.
- Rapist must pay victim’s father 50 shekels of silver for property loss.
Whenever the Torah is dropped on the floor, tradition holds that every person in the room must fast for 40 days in atonement.
One in four Canadian children between 7 and 12 are obese.
Approximately half the inhabitants of Indonesia live on the island of Java.
Jeremy Clarkson’s parents ran a business selling tea cosies before they invented the stuffed Paddington Bear.
The hemline index is supposed to predict how the market will fare. Coined in 1926 by U.S. economist George Taylor, the idea has been spookily accurate. When skirts get shorter, the market goes up.
See other: Quite Interesting Facts